Tuesday, March 31, 2009

NO WEDDING!!!


A friend of mine and I were discussing about marriage since she was getting married to her boyfriend of nine years. We were planning her wedding, she out of the blue asked me, what is your dream wedding, and anything with no restrictions what would you have? It was pretty easy so I answered immediately that it’d be NO WEDDING! She gave me a slap on the hand and asked “seriously” and asked me to think hard and tell her what I really wanted because apparently it’s important to have a dinner wear a fluffy costume.

So for a minute or two I thought and I told her, if I am to have a wedding I want to wear a jeans and t shirts. I want it to be something that I can have fun at not be stressed that my makeup is going to be messed or my dress isn’t fluffy. I want wear a plain white t shirt and jeans. And the guy standing next to me can wear whatever he feels comfortable in. I don’t want to have a back drop where people will come and stand and take pictures of us like as if we are some sort of celebrity wax figures. I don’t want to be the statue who has to smile all the time like it’s something painted on my face.

I want to be able to move about, from place to place. I want it to be in a place where there are sofas, tables ( more like a coffee shop appearance design) I want it to be something like I’m meeting a bunch of friends for a cup of tea or coffee kind of things. I DON’T WANT to have a bunch of flowers in my hand that I need to carry about or a skirt to drag around. I just want to have fun.

She looked at me as if I was some sort of an idiot and told me, you are nuts and exclaimed what about the photos??? What about the pictures, you take pictures don’t you want to remember the moments. It was my turn to look at her as if she is this ridiculous being and I asked her, remember the time we go out and have some fun with our cameras??? I want it to be a bring your own camera kind of things, and if I need to hire a photographer to do our wedding portraits I should make a fund to fly in “Aaron Nace” from North Carolina and who is like the best digital artist/photographer I’ve seen and someone who is inspires me every day. And No I don’t want indoor portrait kind of thing.

That is my dream wedding you asked me what I wanted and it’s what I want and I don’t want it any other way. But there’s a difference between wanting and having. Weddings are suppose to be about the bride and groom, so if they want to have fun I don’t think they should be sitting in one place all the time.

She thought of a moment and started chatting about her dress which included a train and a fluffy skirt, just like a princess regretting ever asking me how I wanted my wedding to be.

8 comments:

paperclippenny said...

that's not such a bad idea hehehe

Anonymous said...

i never want to get married. whats the point in exchanging vows anyway? i guess i could celebrate our 'moving in together'. heh.

btw nine years??!? haven't they gotten on each other's nerves yet? lol kidding. congrats to the couple. and ur wedding reminds me of sex & the city's ending.

bulhaa said...

and here i thought i was the only girl who didnt want a wedding party. lol

*hi-fives*

thadu said...

couldnt agry more!
though weddings are a 'world culture' there actually are some who share ur beliefs and who actually follow their beliefs..

Anonymous said...

its a personal choice...
to have sex in a marriage
or to have it without one :D

faixxal said...

kinda kewl concept ... first ive heard of the non-conventional type ... but nonetheless kewl

kaiza shozey said...

maybe even if everyone says the wedding is about the couple, its not. maybe its about pleasing both the groom and bride's parents, relatives, family friends, all their expectations. yea, the couple gets to decide when, where, colour theme etc. but maybe even those stuff after they have been filtered for the approval of the family is cut down from how the couple really wants it to be. and after a bit of this and that, maybe they decide "to hell with it. lets get this over with and we'll enjoy ourselves on our honeymoon". jes a different view.hehe

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun party.
people get too worked up over superficial details in such events that they forget what a celebration is about: FUN.